(WellnessNova.com) – The skin is the body’s largest organ, so it is vital that we protect it at all costs . Sun protection is a major concern, with millions of Americans to stock up on sunscreen throughout the year to avoid:
- skin lesions pre-cancerous and cancerous
- benign tumors
- fine and coarse wrinkles
- discolored areas of the skin
- the destruction of the elastic tissue and collagen
, but not all sunscreens are created equal and it is important to know what’s in what you’re using, because our skin can absorb much of what we put into it.
While sunscreen is marketed to protect our health, many popular brands contain harmful chemicals that can enter the bloodstream and circulate throughout the body, damaging immune and endocrine systems.
Each year, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) released guidance on sunscreens that includes a list of chemicals to consider. Your Guide 2016 for sunscreens will keep you up to date on these ingredients, along with their selections for brands and products safer.
brands like Banana Boat and Coppertone made the list, among many others are likely to have had in their hands. Therefore, before foaming up again, check labels sunscreen for common and related ingredients listed below.
1. Worst Sunscreens Ingredients
Because it absorbs and filters the UV light, oxybenzone is a common ingredient in sunscreen. However, this chemical has been reported to cause an alarming amount of skin allergies and penetrates the skin at extremely high speeds. Also acts like estrogen once it enters the bloodstream, which reduces sperm production and may even cause endometriosis . The chemical has even has found in the bloodstream of almost all Americans.
Octinoxate is easily absorbed through the skin and helps other ingredients to be absorbed more easily too. hormone disruption is a major concern associated with this common sunscreen ingredient. Its effects on estrogen can affect the reproductive system and thyroid . Moreover, while sunscreens are touted for their ability to protect the skin against aging sun-induced, octinoxate can actually be a culprit for premature aging because that generates free radicals that can damage skin cells and .
3. retinol palmitate
A form of vitamin A, retinol palmitate is an antioxidant. Its role in sunscreen is to improve product performance against the aging effects of exposure to UV rays, but retinyl palmitate – a combination of retinol (vitamin A) and palmitic acid -. It can wreak havoc on the body
Upon exposure to UV rays, compounds of retinol decompose and produce destructive free radicals that are toxic to cells, DNA damage, and may even cause cancer.
This common ingredient also works to help sunscreen that penetrates the skin, but once absorbed, homosalate accumulates in the body more faster than can be detoxified by the liver. This means sticking around, stopping in the body and increase the toxic load, while hormone disrupters .
When exposed to UV light, this chemical absorbs light and produces free radicals that can damage cells and cause mutations. You can also easily accumulate in the body, as it is easily absorbed through the skin in measurable quantities. It has also been found that it is toxic to the environment .
A group of synthetic compounds commonly added to beauty products and body, parabens (butyl, ethyl, methyl and propyl) it is known to induce allergic reactions, hormonal disorders and developmental toxicity and reproductive . In fact, there are a whopping five common types of parabens have even been banned in the EU, which has put pressure on the FDA to ban the U.S .
2. Safer alternatives
Now that you are aware of the most important to avoid, you may wonder if there is something! But do not worry, there are safer alternatives to toxic ingredients. Here is a list of five of the safest:
1. Drunk elephant Umbra Sheer SPF 30 Physical Defense
Although the word “toxic” are thrown around a lot these days, this brand means business when they say it. It is formulated with zinc oxide for UV protection, and rich in potent antioxidants such as sunflower sprouts extract and seaweed extract (to protect against damage from free radicals and aging effects of the sun).
is also free of fragrances and irritating, so even the most sensitive skin can take advantage of it.
2. BANXBlock Fragrance Free SPF 40
Are you a water lover? If you spend most of their time surfing, paddle boarding, or just take frequent baths to spill or get your heart rate with a few strokes, this sunscreen is right for you. Created by a plastic surgeon Outer Banks of North Carolina, This product was created with water lovers and sports in mind. A non-toxic product with a formula based on minerals, can not damage the skin or marine life and coral reefs, either.
3. Babo Botanicals zinc Clear Sunscreen, SPF 30
certified organic, no preservatives and designed for infants, children and adults, sunscreen products Babo They are using zinc oxide as its primary sunscreen. It is especially great if you plan to swim, sweat or being outdoors for extended periods of time.
4. Juice Beauty Sport Sunscreen SPF 30
This chemical-free waterproof SPF is another great option. While it is a bit thicker and better used for the body, the formula provides jojoba oil and soothing aloe feels good on your skin. It is also rich in vitamins increase the skin and has a sweet smell to boot.
5. Protect Beautycounter throughout sunscreen SPF 30
white striped appearance often has after applying sunscreen are neglected? Then this one’s probably right up your alley. Made with a formula not nano zinc, they melt into the skin without leaving any residue uncomfortable. It also provides moisturizing aloe and tea and blood orange green extracts rich in antioxidants to boot.
3. Additional things to consider before applying sunscreen
Along with it is pertinent that you are aware of toxic ingredients to avoid in sunscreen, as well as the best ways to take advantage, it is also important that you get the correct information. Here are three important things to consider:
1. Melanoma is the deadliest form of cancer, and rates have tripled in last 35 years . While this can make you reach for the sunscreen, most scientists and public health agencies found not very much evidence to support the theory that sunscreen prevents most types of cancer .
2. While the number following SPF in a product can determine whether you buy it or not, do not be fooled. The FDA is trying to ban the sale of sunscreens with SPF values greater than 50 and older since increased UVB protection is minimal. Ultraviolet radiation reaches the earth as UVB and UVA rays, but UVB radiation which is typically related skin cancer . SPF explained mainly by the amount of UVB sunscreen product offers.
3. sunscreen sprays may seem convenient, but are not recommended. “It is not recommended that consumers use these products,” says the Environmental Working Group Senior Scientist Dave Andrews . “There is concern inhaling as you are breathing in these sunscreen ingredients when they are applied, and it is difficult to obtain a suitable coating on your skin, even to verify that people are applying an adequate amount.”
foam up, but intelligent foam. You can get skin cancer from the sun – but also from solar protector. Choose safer alternatives and always keep up.